Markt Heimenkirch



Heimenkirch in History: It All Began in the Year 1275 ...

Heimenkirch in History: It All Began in the Year 1275...

In the year 1275, Heimenkirch was noted for the first time by the name of “Haimenkirch” in the so-called St. Gallener Urkunden.
In June 1491, the first stone of the castle Schloss Syrgenstein was laid by Veit “Sürg”.

In 1738, the local breweries Meckatzer Löwenbräu and Brauerei Karg were founded.

In the year 1814, Heimenkirch was separated from the Austrian region of Vorarlberg along with the entire Westallgäu and subsequently belonged to Bavaria.

In 1909, the Zweckverband Wasserversorgung Heimenkirch-Opfenbach was established as an administrative union for water supply providing for the municipality and the nearby village of Opfenbach.

In 1927, the local company Hochland was founded under the name of “Schmelzwerk Hochland” by Georg Summer and Robert Reich.

On 1 June, 1932, Heimenkirch was given the status of a so-called Marktgemeinde. In the month of May, 1978, an administrative union was formed between the town and the nearby villages Opfenbach, Maria-Thann and Wohmbrechts, which was dissolved on 1 January, 1980.  

In the year 1976, the Abwasserverband Obere Leiblach was founded joining Heimenkirch, Opfenbach, Maria-Thann and Wohmbrechts for waste water treatment.

Would you like to learn more about the local history of our municipality? Please visit our Heimatstube!